How to repair hacked Joomla website?
Hijack is common most of the portals and recently, the Joomla site hijacks capture the attention a lot. If you own a Joomla website and want to know how to act and resolve things, if the site is hijacked, then here you can find the solution. Minimizing the hacking possibilities is mandatory to make your website safe and secure. Here is how to repair hacked Joomla website.
Joomla compromise is a very complex administrative function. But this should not stop you from getting to know about the same in detail. It is important to know at least the basics, only then clearing the hacking mess is possible. Before you repair your Joomla website, the first thing you need to look into is, if your Joomla site is compromised.
The easy way to check if the site has been compromised is to verify with the aid of Google search engines. The search engine results come up with page titles and meta data. These cannot be seen in the actual site. You need to see that if the site was compromised through modifying the additional files, existing and injected files too, in Joomla CMS installation.
Then check the modified page with Google bot. The page appears in Google bot is different from the one the online visitors get, then this is called Google Bot Cloaking.
With this you need to start addressing the issues. Here goes how you can do the same.
- The Joomla website compromise you have made should be related to the site only. It should not be an overall compromise that make changes in the server too. If you are going to compromise a server, then you website that has been affected by the hackers, cannot be cleaned. Clearing of the mess from a compromised server is not effective.
- When you check for verification and find infections, the database information too cannot be used. Only if there are no infections, you can use the same database.
- All the website files you own should go to the website that is uninfected. You need to own such a version too. This is to ensure that you have backups on a regular basis, and you cannot afford to lose all the data on your site in case of it has been hacked.
- When you find infection in your site, it is important to alert the people, who are involved in the business or service. If your business stakeholders are going to update the site, it is the last thing you would need the hackers to know. Also, once you have started to verify the process, let them be kept updated through the process.
- Now, you need to reindex the site. This can be done by sending a request to Google Site Cache for removing the index of the site.
- Find all the recent changes and updates made in your site after you have made a backup. This is to ensure that none of the important information is lost.
- If there are any outdated extensions, update the same
- Run the malware scan
- Verify the server logs and the websites for any outdated data
- If there are files that are not required or any installations, you have tested, remove them.
- Also, the databases that are not required are to be removed
- All the permissions to access the folders and files should be tightened. If they had been secured already, even them strengthening the protection is required.
- Do something simple and yet very crucial. Change the passwords
- Check in the areas, where there should be no changes made. You need to focus on the database changes in the files and folders here. All-encompassing search is required.
- Now, create a report of the all the activities, and keep it safe to access in case you face same issues later.