Upgrade Joomla to latest version using cPanel
This tutorial covers how to upgrade Joomla to latest versions using cPanel.
- The first step to successful Joomla upgrade is to install the right updates for your website.
- Always prefer downloading updates from the official Joomla.org website only, to avoid being vulnerable to malicious software.
- Choose the appropriate update package, in any one of the available format. (.zip, .tar.gz and .tar.bz2). Save the file on your computer.
- Next step is very crucial and must be carried out carefully. Backup the entire Joomla database and directory. If anything goes wrong midway during Joomla upgrade, then the backup file will help to restore the last stable state of the Joomla website.
- Now, goto file manager and click on cPanel. Copy the Joomla folder and rename it. On refreshing the File Manager a new directory will appear, bearing the already set name.
- Upload the upgrade file in the original Joomla directory. On successful upgrade a message is displayed on the screen.
- Go back to the file manager and extract the package by clicking the Extract button.
- Check that the root directory is the original Joomla directory. After ensuring, click extract files.
- After successfully extracting the files, check that the Joomla installation works properly and the Joomla version has been updated.
Infyways Tip: Always backup your files before proceeding. If there is troubleshooting, then request a quote and hire a professional.