How can you link articles in Joomla?
An important aspect of social networking is providing links to other web pages. A link to a page outside of your website is called an external link and a link to another page in your website is called an internal link. Links also serve many other purposes. An important way to increase your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) ranking is by providing as many links to high traffic websites as possible. This links can also be used in educational articles to provide the reader with additional references which support your article. There are different ways to link pages or articles, together using Joomla 2.5. There is a core Joomla functionality approach, and there is also a way to link using the JCE editor which is a third party extension. It’s common to link to other articles within your site when writing an article in Joomla 2.5. It doesn’t seem to be one of the more user friendly features within the article editor although this feature is built into Joomla. Here we’ll see how to link to another article tool works in the Joomla editor, and how you can use it. So read through to know how can you link articles in Joomla.
Linking Articles using core Joomla functions
- Log in to the Administration area i.e. the back end of your site, and then open the article where you d like to create the link in your Article Manager. You’ll notice four settings that you can control at the bottom of the area where you insert text, once the article is open.
- Highlight the text that you would like to link to another article, once the article is open and select the “Article” link that is below the Article Text area.
- In the window that appears, select the article where the link will be directed.
- You will be returned to the Article Manager once you select the article .You should notice how the text you highlighted has changed to match the title of the article that you linked. However, there is no way to change this feature. You can download and install the JCE Editor for your site, and follow the directions if the above method doesn’t works.
- Make sure that you save your work. Then open the article where you created the link by returning to the front end of your site. Test it to see whether it is active or not.
Linking Article together using the JCE Editor
- Another option to link articles together is using the JCE Editor. Log in to the Administration area i.e. the back end of your site, then go to your Article Manager, and open the Article where you had liked to create the link. Highlight the text that you would like to link to another article, once the article is open and look for the chain link icon inside of the editor.
- In the window that opens, you can open the Content area to create the link internally or you can add an external URL to direct the link outside of your site. You can also specify if you like the link to open up in a new window, in the current window. This is the “Target” field.
- You will see that the link is active once you make your selections, but, unlike the link that was created with the core Joomla functions, the text didn’t t automatically change.
- Make sure that you save your work. Click refresh after returning to the front end and you can test the link to see if it works.