How can you create drop down menus in Joomla?
- Log in to the Administration area of your site. Once you’re there you need to access your Joomla 3 administrative area.
- Go to Menus -> Main Menu and click on Add New Menu Item
- Now you need to select the menu item type. Here we will see how to make the drop-down menu link open a single Joomla article. In order to do this, click on the Select button next to the Menu Item Type label.
- Then a lightbox with the available menu items will appear. You need to select the Articles category and choose Single Article.
- Now you have to choose the actual article which you want to link to. In order to do this, first click on the Select button next to the Select Article label.
- Again a lightbox with all of your articles will appear. You need to choose the one you want to link to and click on its title.
- Entering a title for the menu item is the next step to do. To do this fill in the field next to the Menu Title label. Here we will create a sub-menu or drop down menu named Computers.
- The important part is to find the Parent Item label and click on the drop-down menu next to it. Then select the parent menu for the new menu item that you are creating.
- Then, click on the green Save button in the top left part of the page.
You can now navigate to the front-end of your website and hover your mouse over the Products Menu. Here you will notice the newly created menu item appearing under it. The style of drop-down menus, fold and unfold, the way they appear depends on the Joomla templates you’re using. It is highly probable that your template does not support drop-down menus in case your menus don’t show.
Generally you don’t need to have a parent menu that loads a specific page but you need to have just a container to group few menu items together. You need to create a main menu item following the same steps described above until you have to choose the Menu Item Type. Here, instead of a Single Article you need to select System Links -> External URL.