Upgrade Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5
Joomla 1.5 version has paved the way for Joomla 2.5 with its release in January 2012. This long term release that will be effective till July 2013 has brought many new features to boast about. The developers will feel at ease when migrating from an existing 1.5 version website to 2.5 and then to later versions, rather than directly switching over from 1.5 to newer versions after 2013. The Joomla team also warns about possible loss of vital information in such ambitious Joomla migration. Now it’s high time to upgrade from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5. But the only question that needs to be answered is how does someone carryout the upgradation process.
For the successful migration all one needs is jUpgrade, a third party Joomla extension originally developed by Martias Aguirre (many subsequent modifications have been made by volunteers). Although it seems to be an easy task, yet some serious homework need to be done by you:
- Ensure that the Joomla 1.5 website is up-to-date: If in case it’s not, then first upgrade it from 1.5.11 or lower to 1.5.25 to retain the contents of the website.
- Make sure that all extensions are up-to-date: All the existing extensions must have 2.5 native versions; otherwise there are chances that they may be non-functional.
- Modifications to core files: If at any point of time, the core files were modified then the modifications might be lost. To ensure that, manual upload is necessary.
- Make a note whether Joomla 2.5 compatible templates, language path are available. All folder and file permission issues need to be checked and fixed.
- Once these points have been kept in mind and one feels confident to go for the migration procedure, then comes the real task of conversion. Follow these steps for assured success:
- Back-up Joomla 1.5: Backup all your resources, just in case. Don’t follow a fool hardy approach. Otherwise, apart from losing your valuable time and effort, the contents of your website are also at stake and sometimes the changes made are irreplaceable, even by professionals.
- Download jUpgrade: Download the latest stable version of jUpgrade from a reliable source. Incase you are short of an idea, Download jUpgrade here.
- Install jUpgrade: Install jUpgrade, just like any extensions from the Joomla administrator back-end.
- Upgrade to Joomla 2.5: Check for the extension in the Component manager bearing the same name and start upgrade. Don’t close the screen, until a success message is displayed.
- Review: Make a full site review to ensure everything is set nicely at the right locations.
- Back-up Joomla 2.5: Once everything is set nicely, back-up the 2.5 installation.
- Go Live: Logging into the file manager, create a sub folder for the 1.5 installation in the root; select all files and folders (except the jUpgrade folder) in the root and move them to the Joomla 1.5 sub folder; select the jUpgrade folder and move it to the root.
- Review Again: Double check the front-end and back-end. If everything’s fine, this is it. Congratulations. But if not, then request a quote.
While upgrading when there is a question of retaining clients and users, a near perfection is the main priority. But, don’t get overwhelmed, we at Infyways are ever eager to help and our developers have their task cut out. All you have to do is request a quote for Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5. A sincere advice from us, take decisions wisely, before it’s too late.