Transfer Joomla from one server to another server
Each time Joomla clients ask for upgrading their sites to latest versions, to enjoy the improvised features. But why clueless web developers are pestered with requests to shift a Joomla website from one server to another, by their clients. We would like to let you know why and how. Here are some of the reasons why web masters like to switch over to a new server halfway:
- Poor services of present hosting company
- Better features offered by another hosting company
- Website has outgrown current servers & need new ones
- Uncertainty over security & concerned about potent threats
- Shifting a functional Joomla website from one server to another server seems to a worthless approach for some, yet at times it appears to be the only option. If such a need arises, then care must be taken to ensure any loss of content or third party extensions included. Majority of the times, this is the only reason why people opt for migrating their Joomla website from one server to another server, than reinstalling.
- Follow these steps to achieve success while shifting the Joomla website:
- Backup: Download all the files in the website to a folder in the local system using a FTP application. Incase, anything goes wrong during the Joomla migration, then one can rely on this backup to re-establish the original website.
- Export DB: The same procedure has to be followed for the database as well. Goto PhpMyAdmin and click on export to download the contents of the database in zip format.
- Modify Configuration.php: Most people ignore this step, while rest modify the files wrongly. Expertise knowledge is required to identify the right parameters and edit them correctly.
- Upload: Again using the FTP application, upload the files to a new folder in desired server.
- Import DB: It’s time to upload the old database files in zip format to the new MySQL server.
The migration process is almost over but after following these steps, don’t forget to test the Joomla website in the new server. Congratulations on the successful transfer.
Troubleshooting? Don’t worry, you still have your backup files intact. Request a quote, and we will certainly assist in the process, much to your satisfaction.