- Log into your Joomla 2.5 admin
- Hover over Extensions in the top menu, and then click Extension Manager.
- You will see several tabs at the top of the page like Update, Install, and Database etc. Click the Update tab.
- The updates may not be there always. If the updates are there, you will see a list of them on the screen.
- Click the box to the left of each update you want to install in order to install an update. Then, click on the Update button in the top right menu.
You will see a success message similar to “Updating component was successful” when the upgrades have been completed. If you get any error messages, instead of selecting all the available upgrades and installing them at the same time, run one update each time.
Method for manually updating Joomla extensions
- Always make a backup of the files that you are about to replace.
- Unzip the files for the Joomla plugin or module to your harddrive.
- Upload and replace the contents of the zip to the corresponding folder on the server via ftp
- Then open the newly updated module by going to the plugin or module or manager, and then click apply to save any new settings for the extension
You will need to make sure that the update doesn’t have an effect or feature that you don’t want to display on your site and that any new functionality doesn’t clash with your previous settings.